How I Handle Tough Naps

Anyone else completely convinced their baby can see in the dark? I can barely make out Penny’s eyes but I can tell she has her eyes locked on something and she’s using that to stay awake. 

My Sweet Penny has become a bear to take a nap. She is a champion night sleeper. Wrap her up, pop that paci in, lay her down in her bassinet and she is out! She typically wakes up once during the night and sometimes sleeps straight through. If she does wake up, she eats then goes right back down with no issue. But these naps... 

I start by doing the same thing I do at night. I wrap her up, pop her paci in, lay her down and there she lays... staring at God knows what until she decides she’s had enough of that and starts to cry. I do everything I know works for her and sometimes I can soothe her to sleep but other times it’s a lost cause. 

How do I handle this? 

I send my mom a million texts letting her know how frustrated I am

I cry. 

I feed Penny. 

I ask for help then get mad when I’m helped because I don’t like being helped *face palm*.

I rage tape pieces of cardboard to the windows so it’s as dark as can be in our room. 

I cry some more. 

I feed Penny. 

I rewatch and reread all of Taking Cara Babies’ highlights and blog posts that have even the slightest bit to do with naps. 

Then I give up and we start our cycle over. 

How do I handle tough naps? 

I DON’T

I cannot handle them. I blame the hormones! 

“Today’s focus is feeding Penny. If naps happen they happen. I’m going to attempt naps an hour to an hour and a half after she wakes up and if she doesn’t fall asleep in 15 minutes I will accept that.” 

That’s what I tell myself every morning. Some days are great and I follow through with what I have said. Other days I stress cry until I guilt cry for thinking I needed Penny to sleep so that I could do anything else. I am blessed to be a stay at home mom and if I get the opportunity to hold her for a nap I am trying to be grateful for that. 

I hope that if you have a little one who you are struggling with naps that this post reminds you that naps. are. tough. but so are YOU and so am I! Every single day is different and so is every single baby and they have been given to the perfect mommy for them! 

Do you or did you ever have a nap fighter? Do you have any tips for nap time struggles?


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts